Monday, March 31, 2014

Prepare to Fall in Love

If you aren't already in love with Kevin Henkes, that is. The majority of teachers are probably in love with him.

Well maybe not in love with him, but certainly with his books!

He is the wonderful author of many beloved stories (especially stories with mice as characters...) such as Chrysanthemum, Julius, Lilly, Kitten's First Full Moon, Jessica (one of Jessica's personal favorites!), and this story, Sheila Rae, the Brave. Aside from the perfectly pleasant illustrations, the stories themselves are simply splendid. For now, we will focus on Sheila Rae, the Brave and how it could be used to teach the reading strategy called "making connections". This strategy, as you may have guessed, is where the student relates various aspects of a story to himself; the characters, plot, conflict, or even setting are some examples of things that students could relate to. A popular way to help students organize their thoughts with this strategy is using "When I heard/read the part about...." followed by "It reminded me of....". This formula can either be written on a chart during a lesson where the teacher can write students' answers or on a worksheet like this one at Teacherspayteachers.com (we love this website and have met so many teachers that use its awesome-sauce resources).




This book that we recommend, Sheila Rae, the Brave, is so good for teaching this reading strategy because it oozes with relatability. Everyone has been scared and brave, and judgmental and kind in their lives, even children. In the story, Sheila Rae isn't scared of anything - not even the principle when he walks by, or stepping on the cracks of the sidewalk, or walking backwards - but her little sister Louise is scared of everything. She thinks she isn't as brave as her sister, especially after Sheila Rae tells her straight up that she is a scaredy cat. Sheila Rae exudes pride in her bravery, but takes it a little too far when she decides to walk home a different way. She ends up getting herself lost and she becomes scared, crying because she fears she will never see her family again. But fortunately Louise has been secretly following Sheila Rae and she knows the way home. Her sister's weakness gives her courage and strength, and she gets them safely home. She is brave along the way home, also stepping on cracks and walking backwards. When they arrive home, Sheila Rae is appreciative and tells Louise that she is, indeed, very brave.

It's so cute, right? You can listen to it yourself here.

 So when teaching "making connections" through this book, students can pick out events (or other parts) in the story and tell their connection to it. For example, one student may say "When I heard the part about bravely eating yucky food, it reminded me of when my family was at someone's house and I was afraid to eat the vegetables, but my mom made me." Surely many students will relate to the part where Sheila Rae realizes she is lost. Most people were lost sometime in their childhood and it is terrifying! It would be beneficial to acknowledge the admirable characteristics of the sisters: they don't fight very much, they are forgiving, and they care about each other, as relatives should.
You could also relate this story to different subjects: Sheila Rae isn't afraid of thunder or lightening, so that could relate to something like what makes thunder so loud and lightening so bright, or even safety procedures during a storm and connections that students have with bad weather; for history, Sheila Rae's bravery could be related to historical figures like Abraham Lincoln or Rosa Parks. Obviously there are many directions a teacher could go with this story, so since it is so versatile read it for yourself, recommend it to your friends, and join the Kevin Henkes fan club! (That may not actually exist, but you could be the ambitious one to start it!).

7 comments:

  1. This was too cute!! I love "Chrysanthemum" is one of my favorites so I was really eager to read about this one! It was just too cute! I love how relate-able this book was. I also love love love the video that you chose to go with it! Kids love when the teacher is not the one who is always reading to them! I also really loved how you incorporated the making connections specifically because I am sure they will all have stories that the book reminds them of! Great job guys!!
    -Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds like a great one!! I agree that this book can be related to easily. I myself can relate to the sister who is always afraid of everything!! I really liked the worksheet reference that you gave from teachers pay teachers, you could use that as a universal sheet, for any book, for the students to log their connections. I think that Kevin Henkes is a great author and I will have his collection in my classroom! Great Blog! :)
    -Elizabeth Wadlron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore Kevin Henkes books! Once Dr. Short introduced me to Chrysanthemum in the first semester, I have been hooked! I have used them in the my observation lessons, and will definitely have them available in my classroom. They are great stories that children can make connections with and can be used to teach such a variety of lessons. I think we have all known a "Sheila Rae" or maybe you are the "brave" one. Good job! ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great piece of literature to use when teaching "making connections". I hadn't read this book until I ran across it in your blog. It's a great book, and I look forward to sharing it with my future classroom. Great blog!
    -Dana

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute book about bravery! This could book could really open up new doors to those children who are labeled "scaredy-cat". A big reason that could be lacking bravery, could be due to not having any background knowledge about the thing they are scared of; such as stepping on a crack in the sidewalk. I think this book addresses many common scary things for children and will make many of them feel better and braver after reading it. I was always scared of thunder and lightning as a child, so I think this book would have helped me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read this book, but it sounds like it would be a perfect book for making connections! Learning about bravery is a big part of a child's life. I think that if they have a book they can relate to it can make it easier for them to understand and make connections to. I also like the idea that ya'll had about making a chart for the students to write their ideas on. Kevin Henkes is a great author and his books will definitely be in my future classroom! Great blog and great book choice! -Fowler Edmonds

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you about how well students can relate to this books. It gives examples of both ends of the spectrum, scared and brave, and even a lot in between. There is not one student who could not find something in the book that they could relate to. I would definitely use this in my classroom!
    -ashley

    ReplyDelete